The Official Forum of The Grail Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Stat and Skill Document

4 posters

Go down

The Stat and Skill Document Empty The Stat and Skill Document

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:47 am

The reason for this thread is I'm compiling this for easy access(such as copy paste) and so the info is in one place. Eventually I would like to do professions threads which list everything relevant and the results, which having this here will help with that, and in keeping things organized for me so I can connect all the dots, I'm going head and working in the forum instead of doing private docs in case I don't finish and someone wants to continue, if someone wants to help me, or the fact this information might be useful as it is. I'm also offering my commentary. It also appears it's going to be a quick view of what skills have been fully documented in game.

Personal Skills

Agility- Agility can be increased by eating meals with poultry. The power of moving quickly and easily, important if you want to dodge arrows and other weaponry.
Constitution*- Your Constitution Skill increases your maximum Life-Points. Meals containing eggs will increase this skill. Constitution affects your general life. Your body becomes tougher so
you can take more damage without going down. When you have perfected your body that way, you will have more health then any other normal man
or woman!

Charisma-Charisma can be increased when eating meals with vegetables. A spiritual power or personal quality that gives an individual influence or authority over large numbers of people.
Decadence-You gain more decadence when you do things a decent
person never does. Like eating too much. Decadent people are mostly
rich people as well.
The act or process of falling into an inferior condition or state;
deterioration. Although it’s not really a skill, your decadence does
tell something about yourself.

Endurance- When eating meals with some nice potatoes. Endurance.
Intelligence-When eating a lot of fishy meals! The food “fish” increases your Intelligence. Capacity for reasoning, understanding and similar forms of mental
activity. A high intelligence is important for those who prefer to use
their brain instead of their muscles.

Learning**-Each day you learn more about this world, to
represent this you gain some extra Skill each day you were active. The
bonus ranges from 0.02 to 0.04%.
The more you know the more efficient you will be. Each full % in
learning will add 1 extra stamina to your basic start of 100. With a
bonus of 150 when you reach 100% on the Learning Skill. Which brings
your total maximum to 250 stamina!

Luck-Your luck increases with the eating of meals with a lot of cheese. The force that seems to operate for good or ill in a person's life, as in shaping circumstances, events, or opportunities
Patience- Patience determines your will to wait for the
perfect moment. The power to control yourself and wait on others while
you are already done. Patience can be found almost anywhere. Some have
it most don’t which of the two are you?
Patience is a virtue.
Physical Resistance***- Due the high calcium in Milk, your Physical Resistance increase when drinking a lot of Milk. The higher your Physical Resistance, the less damage you will receive.
Regeneration- Increases when healing yourself in the Hospital. Every 25 points on Regeneration will make healing yourself 1 stamina cheaper. Your capability to recover your health quicker during your sleep.
Speed- Speed has various effects...most effects have something to do with speed in combat.

Gained in many ways, even if you eat too much Wink
This shows you how fast you can move your limbs.
Strength- Your strength skill has various effects through the
game. It represents your strength. You can increase your strength by
eating a lot of meat.
The more strength you have, the stronger you are.

* May I suggest changing this to Constitution? It seems more fitting and it's a more common used game term used for such a stat. Changed in game, now edited to reflect.
** Learning doesn't seem to be really a stat, Perhaps Wisdom? Not important, just another observation.
*** Is there going to be magic? Is it going to be anytime soon? If not to either of those, perhaps it should just be resistance for now, as it gives the impression some other type of resistance is going to be coming sometime.

Fighting Skills

Aiming-not currently used
Archery-ncu
Arms Master-ncu
Axe Fighting-Although the Axe isn't a such a refined weapon as a sword, it is
incridible effective in the hands of a experienced Axe Fighter. Strength
and brute force usual close the deal.
Axe Fighting improves the speed, the chance to hit and the damage of all
axes.

Back Stabbing-Daggers only. The Backstab, or also called the 'assassins kiss' is carefully placed
hit with a dagger on less protected places of the opponent. For trained
daggerfighters armor and protection doesn't form any problem to kill
their foes.
Blocking-ncu
Bow Fighting-ncu
Charging-ncu
Cleaving-ncu
Critical Strike - Critical Strike is the ability to study opponents carefully and
detect any weaknesses. When these deficiencies have been found strike
precisely to those areas that will cause the greatest injuries. And do
massive damage.
Crossbow Fighting - ncu
Crushing - ncu
Dagger Fighting - Daggers are quick and very deadly in the right hands. Dagger Fighting
improves the speed, the chance to hit and the damage of all daggers.
Dodge - Dodge is the ability to avoid potentially devastating blows in combat.
Dual Wielding - With Dual Wielding the fighter used an additional weapon. When an
opportunity comes, the fighter uses his Left Handed Weapon to inflict
additional damage on its foe.
First Strike - Giving the first hit is always a good way to start a fight. First
Strike improves your initiative in combat. It will make you faster and
will cause you to more often start the combat round.
Heavy armor - ncu
Killing Blow - The dream of each warrior! Killing your foe with one single blow!
Killing blow kills your foe in a instant, no matter how much life-points
the opponent has left!(Personal opinion of the author, this is cheap if it's allow into PvP)
Light Armor - ncu
Mace fighting - Maces are blunt weapons. The club is probably the oldest weapon ever!
From simple wooden clubs to the contemporary, armor-defeating flanged
mace, mace masters wield these weapons to devastating effect. Mace Fighting improves the speed, the chance to hit and the damage of all maces.
Martial Arts* - ncu
Medium Armor - ncu
Melee- ncu
Parry - Skilled Sword Fighters can use their sword as a protective wall. Even
the most deadly blows can be parried by experienced swordmasters. (You realize you'd destroy the cutting edge of a weapon doing this right?)
Piercing - ncu
Shield fighting - ncu
Slashing - ncu
Spear Fighting- [i]Spear Fighting improves the speed, the chance to hit and the damage of all spears.
[/i]Sword Fighting- Sword Fighting improves the speed, the chance to hit and the damage of all swords.
Throwing - ncu
Two Handed Fighting - ncu
Unarmed Fighting - Unarmed Fighting improves the speed, the chance to hit and the damage of your attacks when fighting without a weapon.
Whirlwind- ncu

* Seems pointless to me with their being unarmed combat, if you want several unarmed options, wrestling would make the most sense. It was a skill that was often imporant to a knight as they would often clash on horse back and drag each other off the horse.

Combat skills that are currently useful(as in both have a skill you can put points to and equipment for them.)

Axe Fighting-Although the Axe isn't a such a refined weapon as a sword, it is
incridible effective in the hands of a experienced Axe Fighter. Strength
and brute force usual close the deal.
Axe Fighting improves the speed, the chance to hit and the damage of all
axes.

Back Stabbing-Daggers only. The Backstab, or also called the 'assassins kiss' is carefully placed
hit with a dagger on less protected places of the opponent. For trained
daggerfighters armor and protection doesn't form any problem to kill
their foes.

Critical Strike - Critical Strike is the ability to study opponents carefully and
detect any weaknesses. When these deficiencies have been found strike
precisely to those areas that will cause the greatest injuries. And do
massive damage.

Dagger Fighting - Daggers are quick and very deadly in the right hands. Dagger Fighting
improves the speed, the chance to hit and the damage of all daggers.
Dodge - Dodge is the ability to avoid potentially devastating blows in combat.
Dual Wielding - With Dual Wielding the fighter used an additional weapon. When an
opportunity comes, the fighter uses his Left Handed Weapon to inflict
additional damage on its foe.
First Strike - Giving the first hit is always a good way to start a fight. First
Strike improves your initiative in combat. It will make you faster and
will cause you to more often start the combat round.

Killing Blow - The dream of each warrior! Killing your foe with one single blow!
the opponent has left!
Mace fighting - Maces are blunt weapons. The club is probably the oldest weapon ever!
From simple wooden clubs to the contemporary, armor-defeating flanged
mace, mace masters wield these weapons to devastating effect. Mace Fighting improves the speed, the chance to hit and the damage of all maces.
Parry - Skilled Sword Fighters can use their sword as a protective wall. Even
the most deadly blows can be parried by experienced swordmasters.

Unarmed Fighting - Unarmed Fighting improves the speed, the chance to hit and the damage of your attacks when fighting without a weapon.

Combat skills you can put points in but don't have any equipment to be used with.
Spear Fighting- [i]Spear Fighting improves the speed, the chance to hit and the damage of all spears.
[/i]Sword Fighting- Sword Fighting improves the speed, the chance to hit and the damage of all swords.

Combat skills that have no current use and you can't put skills in.

Aiming-not currently used
Archery-ncu
Arms Master-ncuBlocking-ncu
Bow Fighting-ncu
Charging-ncu
Cleaving-ncuCrossbow Fighting - ncu
Crushing - ncuHeavy armor - ncuLight Armor - ncuMartial Arts - ncu
Medium Armor - ncu
Melee- ncuPiercing - ncu
Shield fighting - ncu
Slashing - ncu
Throwing - ncu
Two Handed Fighting - ncuWhirlwind- ncu

Crafting skills

Alchemy-
Blacksmithing-
The art of making metal objects using iron, coal and steel.
Blacksmiths are using strength, heat and skill to create dozens of
useful tools in the Blacksmith Workshop.

Carpentry-
Gained when working in the workshop on wooden objects.
Clothier-
Cooking-
When Cooking your Cooking Skill increases. The art of mixing food ingredients into a tasty dish.
Heavy Armorer*- ncu Do not confuse with Heavy Armor, which is a combat skill. Heavy Armorers make armor out of a heavy metal that offers the best
defense but the least flexibility. It makes the wearer very defensive,
but does not allow for quick movement. The wearer would wear plate armor
or a suit of armor.
Light Armorer* - ncu Do not confuse with Light Armor, which is a combat skill. Light Armorers makes armor out of leather that is flexible for the
means of stealth along with the quickness the light armor generates to
make quicker attacks.
Medium Armorer*- ncu Do not confuse with Medium Armor, which is a combat skill. Medium Armorers try to find a good balance between the flexibility
and the defense the armor can offer. The classic chain mail or ring mail
are good examples of such armors. They have a good protection against
arrows and stabs but you still can still get around quickly.
Ore Melting - With your Melting Skill you can convert Ores into Bars.

* First off I have to say there should just be a flat armor skill to use armor. Second I hope your not going to balance the armors in the traditional sense, as that is utterly unrealistic and actually not balanced. No one is going to spend out the extra dough if Heavy armor is just as good as light armor, making light armor king(like in most games where cash is important.) Also if you had the money, you'd buy the best armor you could get, there where actually rich archers that would have mail or plate armor, they lived longer to. Plate armor is as encumbering or less encumbering(due to how it's strapped on) as modern US Marine or Army Ranger combat gear. If guys trained for war in a few years today can fight with out problems with 50-70 pounds of stuff on their back, people trained for war since they where 5 years old wouldn't have a problem with 50-70 pounds evenly spread out among their body parts. Conquest, Knights in Armor part one best watched with the other parts.

Taken as the crafting skills, I suggest either throwing the armors into other professions,(metal armors to blacksmiths and leathers to tailors, some armors needing products from both) or make a new armor smith profession. I'm kinda throwing all my own ideas for a game out here sadly, but would make separate professions for both weaponsmiths and armorsmiths. I'd classify weapons and armor as simple, normal and complex, and the makers skill determines what they could make and the quality. So by the time a person is unlocking high quality leather armors, they would be unlocking meduim armors such a mail. Sorry, I know this is an information post to organize data for easy access, sort of a reverse game document, but I have to comment as the thoughts come to me while doing this, so it's kinda my notebook to.

Daily Skills

Cowardice-
You become a cowardly person whenever you avoid to
face your foes! Avoiding fights and not even trying to get victorious,
that being a pure cowardly deed!
The Grail Lords do not like Cowards! Whenever you gain a Cowardly
reputation, it will proceed you, once you are known as a coward it is
hard to loose that reputation again!

Crawling- ncuSmall creatures like kobolds don't need to crawl in their tunnels,
but you do! You will move with greater speed when you are crawling.
Disquising- By visiting other towns unannounced.The art of the unseen. Enter and leave Towns unnoticed. Extremely handy if you want to avoid contact with the law.
Eye for Quality-
When checking an item on the private market you can improve your Eye for Quality skill.Each time before you buy an item on the private market you can check
the durability of the item by clicking on the looking glass behind it.
Each click on the looking glass will cost 1 stamina. It will show the durability which on its turn can help you decide if the asked price is worth it or not at all.
Identify Creature- Identify Creature is an academic skill. You can learn this skill by taking lessons in the town academy.A fight is much easier if you know what you are fighting. Knowing
your enemy may prevent you from attacking and if you decide to attack it
may be helpful to know your foes weaknesses. Identify creatures is the
skill a careful adventurer practices if they want to become old.

Mercantile-
Your Mercantile Skill will decrease the amount of Taxes that you will have to pay to a Town. Merchants are the wheel of the economy of each town. Thanks to the
merchants towns get rid of overproduction and get the rare goods the
villagers require. A good merchant knows that and makes sure he gets the
sharpest prices.
Reading- When reading books or following lessons in the Academy of a town. Reading is the skill that makes you capable of reading this.
Repair-
Retreat- Your Retreat Skill increases the chance on a successful retreat from an opponent during combat. A smart warrior knows when it is time to make a tactical redraw and chooses life above valour.
Riding- With the Riding Skill the Seeker moves with greater ease over the map while being on a mount. The more time you spend with your loyal horse the better you will be
with handling it. You are able to move faster with a horse, but only if
you can command your horse to ride in the right direction.

Sustaining- When equipped tools break while using them. The higher this skill, the more careful you are with your tools. You
will use your equipment in such an economic way that they will last much
longer.

Swimming- With the Swimming Skill the Seeker moves with greater ease over water area's on the map. Swimming is a difficult form of movement. You only can swim in liquid
environments. The art of swimming gives you faster movement through
water.

Walking- With the Walking Skill the Seeker moves with greater ease over the map while being on foot. Walking is the cheapest way to go from one place to another. Some
might find walking is also the slowest way of travelling. But for
experienced Walkers the combination of exercise, adventures and speed is
very profitable.

Resource Skills

Chicken Attitude- Your Chicken Attitude affects all the actions you
perform with Chickens. Breeding them, grow & feed them, search for
eggs and finally slaughter them. The higher your Chicken Attitude, the
less stamina those actions require.
Why did the Chicken cross the road? Because you where on the other side!
Cow Attitude- The Cow Attitude involves actions like milking the
cow, breeding them and slaughtering Cows. Higher Cow Attitude will lower
the stamina required.
A mad cow? No! She is just happy to see you!
Farming- Your Farming Skill increases after you had a successful harvest on your field. Farming is the art of the peasant!
Good Farmers know how to get a optimal harvest. Higher Farming skills will increase the gains of each of your harvests.

Fishing-
Harvesting- ~Under Construction~ ~Under Construction~
Herbalism- The Herbalism Skill is used and gained when you
look for ingredients across the world. Those Ingredients can be used to
create alchemy potions.
Herbalism is the art of finding useful plants and fungi, as well as
minerals, shells and certain animal parts. Those ingredients get
prepared and are used to mix potions by alchemists.

Horse Attitude- Horse Attitude lowers the stamina required for
training horses into battle ready steeds. Your Horse Attitude increases
by training an feeding Horses.
A horse! a horse! My shiny gold piece for a horse!
Hunting-
Mining- To increase your mining skill, you mine ores. The higher your Mining Skill, the more ore you get every time you go out Mining.
Pig Attitude- Your Pig Attitude raises when feeding your pigs.
With high skill you manage to make the pig more happy which eventually
will turn into more meat.
An ancient culture claimed that Pigs bring luck! They where absolutely right!
Ploughing- When Ploughing fields. The earth is your friend. You understand it. With a higher Ploughing
Skill you are able to plough fields faster using less stamina.

Sheep Attitude- Your Sheep Attitude increases when feeding and shaving sheep. Higher Skill means extra wool when shaving sheep. Sheep are like fluffy clouds with legs. Taking good care for them, means warm fluffy clothes in winter periods.
Sowing- The more fields you sow, the better you will be at Sowing. Sowing is the process of planting seeds. Higher Sowing Skills will result in lower stamina consumption when Sowing farm fields.
Wood Chopping- Your Wood Chopping Skill increases when chopping
wood in the forest. A higher skill results in more wood bushels every
time you chop wood.
Wood Choppers don't always have to be strong muscled men. Strength
helps but technique, finesse and knowing how to swing is what makes
Chopping Wood into an art.

Profession Skills

Baking - This skill determines your ability to make breads. “All sorrows are less with bread.”
Brewing - When working in the Town Brewery making beers, wine or more alcoholic drinks. The art of making, testing and drinking all kind of alcoholic drinks!
Cheese making - Your proficiency to make cheese from milk using
your curdle. As your skill level increases, you can make cheese of
higher quality and you will require less stamina to produce it.
~ Cheese is milk's leap toward immortality ~
Labourer - Labourers become more experienced when they work a lot for the town! The town often has huge building projects. Labourers are the persons
who actually realize those projects. Good labourers can make a living
from building for the town!

Milling - This skill reflects your proficiency to produce
flour. While your milling proficiency increases, you will need less
stamina to grind wheat to flour. This skill improves each time you use
the town’s mill.
~ He who goes to the mill gets befloured. ~
Teaching - Teachers gain practice in the town academy. Teachers understand the art of educating others. Experienced teachers need less energy to make others understand the lessons.
Wound Treatment - Can be learned at the Academy and by healing wounded persons. The art of healing others. As you progress to become the greatest
surgeon in the Grail World, you will learn various techniques of
healing. The chances to treat the wounded varies with your skill. The
higher your skill is, the rate of successful treatment will increase.

Whew, that was a few hours of work. Now later, I'm going to start working on professions The actions in those professions, the skills, equipment and the stats. I'm going to need a lot of help connecting all these things and I have a feeling Aro is going to be the only one to be able to provide most of this information.

Last edited by Cougar on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updating)

Back to top Go down

The Stat and Skill Document Empty Re: The Stat and Skill Document

Post by Bracken Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:52 am

Clothier skill is gained by working on items in the Tailor's workshop

Bracken
Seeker

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arogandor Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks for your hours spend on this article Cougar!
When I made the skills I never took a moment to actually write down the real effects. Many years later I started to fill in the skill effects but my list is still far from complete. There are effects on skills that I prefer to keep as a "game secret". With the others I gladly will help Smile

May I suggest changing this to Constitution? It seems more fitting and it's a more common used game term used for such a stat.

I find that a good replacement and will change the skill name.

Learning doesn't seem to be really a stat, Perhaps Wisdom? Not important, just another observation.

Most Seekers are used with Learning now, could have used Wisdom or even Knowlegde. But for now I stick with Learning.

Is there going to be magic? Is it going to be any-time soon? If not to either of those, perhaps it should just be resistance for now, as it gives the impression some other type of resistance is going to be coming sometime.

Won't be magic any-time soon, still I prefer to keep this name unchanged.

the opponent has left! (Personal opinion of the author, this is cheap if it's allow into PvP)

Chance for this happening will be small. Still if it would prove to be to powerful we can change it later.

Parry - [i]Skilled Sword Fighters can use their sword as a protective wall. Even
the most deadly blows can be parried by experienced swordmasters. (You realize you'd destroy the cutting edge of a weapon doing this right?)

Eh... I'll keep that in mind when we start with weapon durability Wink

Seems pointless to me with their being unarmed combat, if you want several unarmed options, wrestling would make the most sense. It was a skill that was often important to a knight as they would often clash on horse back and drag each other off the horse.

Wrestling is a sport with certain rules, when you are fighting monsters your entire body is a weapon on its own. We'll need to find a better name still.

First off I have to say there should just be a flat armor skill to use armor. Second I hope your not going to balance the armors in the traditional sense, as that is utterly unrealistic and actually not balanced. No one is going to spend out the extra dough if Heavy armor is just as good as light armor, making light armor king(like in most games where cash is important.) Also if you had the money, you'd buy the best armor you could get, there where actually rich archers that would have mail or plate armor, they lived longer to. Plate armor is as encumbering or less encumbering(due to how it's strapped on) as modern US Marine or Army Ranger combat gear. If guys trained for war in a few years today can fight with out problems with 50-70 pounds of stuff on their back, people trained for war since they where 5 years old wouldn't have a problem with 50-70 pounds evenly spread out among their body parts. Conquest, Knights in Armor part one best watched with the other parts.

Taken as the crafting skills, I suggest either throwing the armors into other professions,(metal armors to blacksmiths and leathers to tailors, some armors needing products from both) or make a new armor smith profession. I'm kinda throwing all my own ideas for a game out here sadly, but would make separate professions for both weaponsmiths and armorsmiths. I'd classify weapons and armor as simple, normal and complex, and the makers skill determines what they could make and the quality. So by the time a person is unlocking high quality leather armors, they would be unlocking meduim armors such a mail. Sorry, I know this is an information post to organize data for easy access, sort of a reverse game document, but I have to comment as the thoughts come to me while doing this, so it's kinda my notebook to.

Armor still need to be actually added. I don't know how traditional games deal with the different types of armor but here in TGL light armor will never have the same effect as Heavy Armor. Heavy Armor simply is much more expensive but also offers better protection. Your skill will determ how much your initiative during the fight is affected by your armor.
Lord Arogandor
Lord Arogandor
Game Master/Owner

Number of posts : 2995
Registration date : 2008-09-19

https://thegraillords.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Harold Tue May 14, 2013 1:38 pm

The way light, medium and heavy armor work could be with movement penalties... However, in that case when leaving town, people should not be allowed to change armor.

So, light armor, a protection, no movement penalties...

Heavy armor, a great protection, a great movement penalty.

Profficiency in "wearing armor" could be either on increased protection and on reduced movement penalty.
Harold
Harold
Seeker

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2013-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 15, 2013 6:03 am

Unarmed combat ... perhaps Martial Arts?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Keliha Greyson Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Bit late on this, but slight note: You parry with the flat of your blade.  Inexperienced people DO destroy the edge, but after a certain point you learn how to make sure you block with the flat.  When that happens, you take minimal damage to the weapon.

Also, on armor, the backpack of a US marine during TRAINING weighs as much as the armor.  It's significantly heavier during actual active front line duty(Up to 100 pounds).  Whats more, spreading the weight across the body makes it less encumbering, and if the armor was properly fitted, they retained full range of mobility after proper conditioning.  However, only nobles really could afford a steel tailor, so a lot of plate armor was less than well fitted(A lot of people got it from looting battlefields during certain periods), so the joints were misaligned with the wearers.  This caused issues.

Keliha Greyson
Seeker

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2011-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down